Roman Personal Hand Weapons

This Collegium is devoted to discussion, research and the contribution to the Roman Republic of Articles, pictures, drawings, military reenactment, questions, comments and all other material relating to the purpose of the Militarium (Ancient Roman Military). Collegium Website: http://militarium.romanrepublic.org/ | Join at: http://romanrepublic.org/civitas/joint_ ... itarium/41

Moderators: Publius Iunius Brutus, Lucius Aurelius Curio, Marca Marcia, Gaius Flavius Aetius, Paullus Aemilius Gallus, Aula Flavia Philippa

Roman Personal Hand Weapons

Postby Marcus Minucius Audens » Sun Jun 12, 2016 4:59 pm

Salvete All:'
Below is a short article describing my Personal Hand Weapons. I hope you enjoy it. should be pleased to hear your coments about the subject.

>>>> Roman Personal Hand Weapons <<<<

During the last “Roman Days” that I mentioned we held in this area, I decided since I would be dressed and exercised as an archer, I would arm myself as one. My bow was a small recurve bow about three and a half to four feet long, and five arrows with heavy target points which resembles the weight of a hunting point for practice accuracy with a hunting target. My quiver, I made from a heavy map tube, some tape, a paint job, and a shoulder strap sewn from a piece of scrap blanket material. The bow has an approximate 35 lb. draw. The bowstring is artificial sinew.

My pilum, which I made, I have described to you previously.

I selected for my long knife, a long slim blade about 18 inches in length. Actually, it is a broken sword blade which I was fortunate enough to find in a rubbish pile at an earlier event. The blade being long and thin is much better adapted to a ‘point’ offense, rather than a ‘edge’ offense. I took the blade home, with the intention of putting a handle on it, and then later I decided that a wooden sheath would be better than a leather one for this particular knife the point being very sharp. I put together a wooden sheath, The wooden sheath is made of pine, and has a long arrow design pointing to the Guiding Star. The leather loop that holds the sheath to the belt is sewn and glued to the sheath.

I am currently using a legionary belt to support the knives. On the side away from the sword-knife, I carry a Roman pugio. It has a large bronze handle with bronze scabbard. Both are heavily decorated. The pugio blade is about 11 inches long and is a long triangle, sharpened on both sides. The pugio scabbard has a double set of rings along each side to fasten to the legionary belt.

The legionary belt is made of black leather, with a large brass buckle. I have removed the protective crotch straps, because they were badly curled from the long storage. I have oiled them well and hung them up with weights on the bottom, and put them in the garage window, the purpose being to straighten them. I have riveted small brass plates onto the belt. History indicates that the legionary’s belt contained all that was of value to the individual soldier and so the brass plates, polished highly, represents my total value, as in gold plates.

I should be pleased to hear, from all who have read the above, about their personal hand weapons that they wear in reenactment. Please do not be shy. Sharing similar ideas across the board is how I learned about Roman hand weapons, what to get, or build, and how to wear them. I am eager to learn more from others who have even better ideas!

Respectfully;
Marcus Audens
Marcus Minucius Audens

Return to Collegium Militarium