Reenactment in the United States

This Collegium is devoted to discussion, research and the contribution to the Roman Republic of Articles, pictures, drawings, military reenactment, questions, comments and all other material relating to the purpose of the Militarium (Ancient Roman Military). Collegium Website: http://militarium.romanrepublic.org/ | Join at: http://romanrepublic.org/civitas/joint_ ... itarium/41

Moderators: Publius Iunius Brutus, Lucius Aurelius Curio, Marca Marcia, Gaius Flavius Aetius, Paullus Aemilius Gallus, Aula Flavia Philippa

Reenactment in the United States

Postby Marcus Aquillius » Sun May 22, 2016 9:50 pm

Salvete,
Does anyone know of Roman military reenactment groups in the United States? I may be moving to either New England or Miami in a couple years - depending on what happens in the next few months - and I do not want to leave this behind.
G. V. A
M Aquillius
Marcus Aquillius

Re: Reenactment in the United States

Postby Decimus Aurelius Severus » Wed May 25, 2016 5:02 am

I am in Gallia Mississippia, looking to start a Legion, to bad you do not live closer!

Vale,
Decimus Aurelius Severus
Decimus Aurelius Severus
Governor of Gallia Mississippia Pronvincia
Governor of Gallia Mississippia Pronvincia

Postby Marcus Minucius Audens » Wed May 25, 2016 3:34 pm

Marcus Aquillius;

I belong to the Legio III (Cyrenaica), the base of which is in Massachusetts, somewhere around the Cape Cod area. I am not sure who the Centurion is any more, since it has been some time since I was with the Legio at an event. They concentrate on marching activities and I am a bit crppled in that respect. If you are interested I can find out the contact information for you.

Respectfully;
Marcus Audens
Marcus Minucius Audens

Postby Marcus Minucius Audens » Wed May 25, 2016 3:53 pm

Salvete All;

Just an announcement to those who may reside in the area of Southeastern Connecticut. On June 4th the members of the Nova Britannia Province will be holding an open day long Roman event in Haddam, CT. The Rough schedule is below:

9:00 AM - Arrival, set up tables, targets and other meeting materials;
10:00 AM - Welcome to all, and handout the final event agenda;
10:15 - 11:15 AM - Religous Discussion;
11:15 - 12:00 AM - Picnic Lunch;
12:00 - 1:30 PM - Physical Activities, Bow and Arrow, Spear Chucking, etc.;
1:30 - 3:00 PM - Roman Model talk and Review;
4:00 - 5:00 PM - Book Discussions (Open ideas);
5:00 - 6:30 PM - Dinner and Grill / Barbecue;
6:30 - 7:30 PM - After Dinner Discussion; Subject ???;
7:30 - Clean-UP and Goodbye!

The model talk will be a combined display of models of Roman Siege machines and how they operate. Some ideas for the after dinner discussion have been submitted, but no final decision has been made. Roman dress is optional but desired. The Dinner wil be a potluck affair and so anyone visiting; it would be most excellent and inviting were you to contribute a Roman dish for six people to add to the proposed feast. All Roman citizens are most welcome. If you plan to attend, please contact me for an address and directions.

Respectfully;

Marcus Audens
Marcus Minucius Audens

Postby Gaia Cassia Longina » Fri May 27, 2016 5:19 am

Salvete!

Audens, I did not know there was one in Cape Cod! I usually spend my summers in Chatham. I had no idea they had one! I wish i knew of them earlier! Maybe next year
Gaia Cassia Longina

Postby Marcus Minucius Audens » Fri May 27, 2016 4:24 pm

Lady Longina;

I mentioned in an earlier message that we were having a 'Roman Day' in Haddam, CT. on the 4th of June. I am not sure if you live in the area, but I should like to invite you as my special guest to this suareee if you could come. If not, I will certainly understand. I listed the agenda for the day on a previous message to the Collegium Militarium as well. It would appear that some of my messages to the Militarium do not reach the Main Forum. I have asked about that, but have recieved no answer as yet beyond, what a blue stripe means (Grin!). Anyway if you are anywhere in the vicinity I would like to see you there, and I think it might also mean that some people might be interested in RR as a result.

Respectfully;
Marcus Audens
Marcus Minucius Audens

Postby Gaia Cassia Longina » Sat May 28, 2016 6:37 am

Salve, Audens!
Thank you so much for the kind invitation. I wish I was going to be there! Unfortunately, I will be in Athens, starting 2 June, and then back home to Rome until December. Is there any programs for the winter? I can imagine it would be much to cold!
I would love to go to the next meeting! Very much so!
Gaia Cassia Longina

Postby Marcus Minucius Audens » Sat May 28, 2016 6:01 pm

Lady Longina;

You are correct about it being a tad cold in the Winter around here, however, I have sent to the Governor of the Provincia my suggestions for four meetings during the year. The first one is the coming local "Roman Days". The other three are in order, a study activity (Book Reports, Articles, etc.), A Roman Dinner, and a Roman Day Make and Mend. The second one can be wedded with a lady who takes a group for a weekend to the Yale University Library to study books and references for a day, and the second day is spent in discussions of what was found and read in that time period. I have done all of them when I was active with Legion III, so I am aware of how to help the Governor follow-through, as he wishes. I don't have any responses as yet, but when and if I do, I shall be glad to let you know.

Speaking of Make and Mend, since I withdrew from the NR senate, I can no longer wear the Senate tunic or my "red boots" (leggings), so I am feverishly sewing up a couple of tunics to wear, one white and one red, making a civilian type belt, gathering my black "boots" (leggings), and making a spear (pilum) for the "Spear-chucking". My bow and arrows, I think are close enough for use in the Bow practice that they have planned (Grin!).

Respectfully;
Marcus Audens
Marcus Minucius Audens

Postby Gaia Cassia Longina » Tue May 31, 2016 7:29 pm

Wonderful!
I would love to participate in the Roman dinner! Both cooking and eating!
Gaia Cassia Longina

Return to Collegium Militarium