Siege Machines

This Collegium is devoted to discussion, research and the contribution to the Roman Republic of Articles, pictures, drawings, military reenactment, questions, comments and all other material relating to the purpose of the Militarium (Ancient Roman Military). Collegium Website: http://militarium.romanrepublic.org/ | Join at: http://romanrepublic.org/civitas/joint_ ... itarium/41

Moderators: Publius Iunius Brutus, Lucius Aurelius Curio, Marca Marcia, Gaius Flavius Aetius, Paullus Aemilius Gallus, Aula Flavia Philippa

Siege Machines

Postby Marcus Minucius Audens » Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:20 am

Salvete All;

One of the more interesting aspects of the Roman Military, to me, are the siege machines used in Rome's attack on the fortresses of their enemies. I have done just a small bit of study on some of these machines, I and I find them to be most interesting. To this date, I have written articles and placed pictures in the Roman Republic Album for your enjoyment. These five machines are:

>> Siege Tower;
>> Roman Fort Mobene;
>> Roman Ship's Prow Tortoise;
>> Sambuca;
>> Corvus Demilitor.

Each picture of the above machines are photos of my models of these machines. The articles in the Library explain the uses of each of the machines. Now these machines are not all of the ones that were used ,of course, and over the next few weeks, I will be adding one or two as I get the chance to do so.

So, if you have an interest in the Military aspect of ancient Rome, I invite you to join the Collegium Militarium, and learn about these machines. While you are here, I invite your comments on any aspect of the Roman Military, Navy, or Gladitor activity.

The Militarium Positions for the various areas of information about the Roman Military are open:
>> Praefectus for Naval Operations;
>> Praefectus for the Legions (Legionis);
>> Praefectus for the Auxila;
>> Sacerdote for the Military;
>> Praefectus for the Gladitor Activities;
>> Legionis Chief of Staff;
>> Praefectus Castrorum (Supplies, Equipment, and Fortress Berthing and Messing.

As another aspect of the Militarium, I invite any and all Reenactment Legions and Roman Civilian Groups to provide to the Militarium, reports of your activities, where you operate, and descriptions of the things that you do in your reenactments.

At the very least I would like to know what legions are active, together contact points with those who command such. I should also welcome anyone who is doing reenactment as a Gladiator. For a couple of years, I enjoyed the position as a Gladiator owner and narrator for the fights that were acted out at verious events.

If any have an interest in such, I should be most appreciative to discuss such with you.

Respectfully Submitted;
Marcus Audens, Militarium Legatus
Marcus Minucius Audens

Return to Collegium Militarium