What is the Point of Life?

The purpose of this collegium is to establish a group for those interested in ancient philosophy and a place where philosophical discussion and study may take place. Join at: http://romanrepublic.org/civitas/joint_ ... sophiae/42

Moderators: Marca Marcia, Gaius Flavius Aetius, Paullus Aemilius Gallus, Aula Flavia Philippa

What is the Point of Life?

Postby Gaia Cassia Longina » Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:24 pm

http://newepicurean.com/a-comparison-ch ... l-of-life/

Here is a comparison of some of our favorite philosophies!
Gaia Cassia Longina

Re: What is the Point of Life?

Postby Gaius Florius Lupus » Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:35 pm

Salvete, amici!

The question "What is the purpose of life?" is asked by almost every humanbeing without noticing the inherent logical flaw in it.
If one attributes an external purpose to life outside of life itself, this would automatically entail the question of the purpose of this external purpose.

Let me explain it with an example:
If one assumes that the purpose of one's individual life is to serve a higher good like the common good of all humanity, which is what virtue is about, then it automatically entails the question: What is the purpose of humanity? So the actual question remans unanswered.
Or if one sees one's purpose in life in one's children, it raises automatically the question: What is the purpose of life of the children?

It does not help to shift the purpose one step furthed to answer the question of the ultimate purpose. Therefore Epicurus is right looking for the purpose of life in life itself instead of shifting the question.

Valete!
C. Florius Lupus
Gaius Florius Lupus

Postby Appius Claudius Tuscus » Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:32 pm

Salvete omnes -

Lupus, good commentary. If the "purpose" of life is not found in life, here, on earth, amid time, then it won't be found (nihilism) or it is a dogmatic fantasy (an ideal disconnected from Nature and Humanity). Or at least, that's my conclusion.

Valete.
Appius Claudius Tuscus

Postby Gaius Florius Lupus » Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:53 am

Salve Tusce!
I see you use the Stoic symbol as avatar. It is nice to see that Stoicism seems to become a major movement.
Vale!
Gaius Florius Lupus

Postby Gaia Cassia Longina » Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:02 pm

Tusce! Wonderful to have another Stoic!
Gaia Cassia Longina

Postby Gaius Curtius Philo » Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:29 am

Personally I think one can see the question of a point in life in two primary lights: The eyes of the Gods or the eyes of Men. Anything outside that spectrum seems to me illogical. For me, the only meaning one can take from life is one created by a subjective consciousness. Things in and of themselves have no meaning.

Cancer killing someone in and of itself means nothing. Someone died from cancer because the physical (and with that, biological) laws of our world made it that this particular person had cancer. It carries no meaning, no worth, nothing other then the technical description of how it occured. The only meaning in it is the one WE give to it. So, using my uncle that died from cancer as an example, his death only has meaning because I thought of a meaning to it. It reminds me of the shortness of life and how we must try to stay in touch with family. That meaning was of my construction and not innate to the event itself.

Both Gods and men can influence events to move them towards their purpose. We can manipulate people, manipulate things, manipulate events in order for them to follow the pattern we wish it to follow, but the pattern itself is meaningless outside of the view of the beholder. We, sentiant beings, are the creators of meaning in life. So if someone asks me What is the Point of life, I'd have to ask them "In who's perspective?"

That's my take on the matter at least.
"Ignis aurum probat" - Seneca
C. Curtius L. f. Vot. Philo Aurelianus
Gaius Curtius Philo

Postby Gaius Florius Lupus » Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:11 am

This was a very thoughtful post, Senator, and a strictly rational approach. I like this way of thinking. Indeed the matter of consciousness is essential for our question.
Gaius Florius Lupus

Postby Appius Claudius Tuscus » Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:16 am

Avete, Romani -

I find I never replied before in order to acknowledge Lupus's salute to us modern Stoics, or Cassia Longina's salute to me personally - so thank you both. I'm glad to be here, and thank the Gods for Zeno Kitiensis and the survival of the Stoic tradition!

And Victor, I find your take on the topic compatible with my own, which is (for me, of course) most agreeable.

I think that part of the beauty of this virtual Republic is that we ARE making some meaning, we are giving the seeming chaos of life a point (at least in some areas!). There are many ways to do that, I suppose, but I think philosophy is one of the best.

Valete optime.
Appius Claudius Tuscus

Return to Collegium Philosophicum