[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4855: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4857: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4858: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4859: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Roman Republic: Res publica Romana • View topic - As a Stoic are you able to manage your anger?

As a Stoic are you able to manage your anger?

The purpose of this collegium is to establish a group for those interested in ancient philosophy and a place where philosophical discussion and study may take place. Join at: http://romanrepublic.org/civitas/joint_ ... sophiae/42

Moderators: Marca Marcia, Gaius Flavius Aetius, Paullus Aemilius Gallus, Aula Flavia Philippa

Re: As a Stoic are you able to manage your anger?

Postby Gaia Cassia Longina » Fri May 06, 2016 11:37 pm

What you all have said, I agree with. We feel these things no matter what, but it is better for us to learn how to control them. We must not let them control us. That, to me, is the basic Stoic principle. For we can all be happier when we are not led by negative emotions - whether that be anger, jealousy, greed, etc.
Gaia Cassia Longina

Postby Gaius Florius Lupus » Sat May 07, 2016 11:34 am

Gaius Florius Lupus

Postby Lucius Vitellius Triarius » Sat May 07, 2016 3:45 pm

L VITELLIVS TRIARIVS
lvtriarius AT yahoo DOT com

Lucius Vitellius Triarius
Apollinis Sacerdos
Apollinis Sacerdos

Postby Gaia Cassia Longina » Sat May 07, 2016 5:29 pm

Haha!
I also know how it is to be described as "hot-tempered!" It does not help being Roman / Italian because they are known for their tempers -- and for me, it is completely true. I can be.

I like to think that what is out of our control, as the Stoics say, is not worthy of our emotions. This tends to help me -- sometimes. But it is always advisable, as Lupus said, to remain calm.

Revenge is always a bad thing. Epicurus thinks that those who inflict an injustice will never be at rest because of all the negative things (such as restlessness) that will follow that act. This is the difference, in a way, between Epicurean and Stoic. While they both say to avoid these things, Epicurus states that it is because of the following negative results, which keeps one from ataraxia. The Stoics, on the other hand, think that these should be controlled so that one can attain a level of inner peace (quite like ataraxia) and to be "in accordance with nature," harmony, and the fates of each man.

Just as Lupus pointed out, this now brings us into the topic of Free Will.
Was that person bound to rob us? Was I bound to have my wallet and phone stolen on the tram on the way home?
Gaia Cassia Longina

Postby Appius Claudius Tuscus » Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:42 pm

Appius Claudius Tuscus

Postby Gaia Cassia Longina » Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:39 pm

Tusce,
That is very interesting that you bring an element of God into this. Why don't you start another topic on it? We have discussed similar things before, but I'm sure a new topic on it won't hurt! (:
How does religion or faith help control anger to you? How do we know what a god would feel or think? Are there really any gods? (I'm not being blasphemous, I'm a philosopher, it's what I do - haha!)

C Cassia Longina
Gaia Cassia Longina

Postby Appius Claudius Tuscus » Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:06 am

Avete omnes - atque Cassia Longina, praesertim -

When I say "God" I'm not being religious! :D

For me, God is shorthand for our Reason, for Universal Nature, and a respectful term for normal folks' endlessly variable conceptions of deity. I also use the term "Creation", again as shorthand for the extant Universe, even though I don't believe there's any sort of Creator God fashioning people and planets and viruses on his magical lathe! So I think I'm probably not the one to start a thread on it.

My point here was - however put - that we have that "better angel" more or less available, and we should take advantage of it, and avoid anger and strife and vendettas, if we can. (Sometimes other parties will not allow you to avoid such.)

The human view, as a creature, here in the world, can be contrasted with the view "sub specie aeternitatis", God's view, which would be more or less like a pulsar's view (if it had one!): in the one, we are each a center; in the other, we are invisible peripheral crumbs. At least, that's how I look at it. To neglect either view seems to me to be a loss of perspective. :)

Valete.
Appius Claudius Tuscus

Postby Marcus Minucius Audens » Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:11 pm

Avete Omnes:

I was glad to read Master Tuscus’ views on his term of “God” and know that in this organization there is another who believes pretty much as I do. Apparently, my only difference with Master Tuscus is that I do not use the terms “god” or “creation” very often at all, because I find that in doing so, I am eternally misunderstood. I certainly agree that we should all be able to control our more “difficult” urges to use language inapprpropriately, and restrain our more basic physical impulses. Such is not easy to do, particularly if you have a short temper and a minimum of patience with people who appear as educated, and polite, but whose actions indicate that they are not!

I am not as educated as Master Tuscus, and so I cannot freely use the exotic terms he sometimes uses, and I do agree that there are occasions when a few silly people simply will not let an individual be polite and hold in check his or her anger and frustration. However, this world and the universe in which it finds itself, is still a very great mystery, with many wonders yet to be revealed, just as there is the mystery of the detail and singular magic of the single blade of grass under a microscope. I do not have the answer to these questions which much more intelligent men and women have worked on for many, many, years. I believe there is some force which keeps the universe around us running smoothly, and I further believe that a man’s brain was given him to make the decisions necessary for a good life here on earth. Unfortunately, in being so, decisions by man, in many cases, have proven to be disasterous for many, through their own fault in not taking an individual stand rather than letting an insanely ambitious man or men take charge!

I have my own view of the world and my own personage with whom I walk in the woods and talk with. This personnage is in my own head, which travels with me wherever I go, and which in times of peace and relaxation I can communicate with, and which, if whole and sound without an injury or fault, can provide a way for me to see clearly my path ahead.

I have difficulty enough in managing myself, and I do not need to try and create a great personage that controls all. That already exists or the universe would not be here, and how it got here is the greatest mystery of all. So until the mysteries can be peeled back so the true activity of the universe can be viewed, I am satisfied to try and control the one being I have given control over, and the rules with which this governess has been provided; myself! If I can manage that properly, I will believe that I have managed to find a real success!! In my view, if an individual must give thanks to some greater being or force, it seems to me that the PROPER management of what you have been provided with, would be thanks enough!

Please note that the above are my views and only my own. I have the right to my own beliefs and as long as they injure no-one I will adhere to such.

Respectfully Submitted;
Marcus Audens
Marcus Minucius Audens

Previous

Return to Collegium Philosophicum