Convocatio: Annual Elections of the Magistri Collegii

The purpose of this collegium is to establish a group for those interested in ancient philosophy and a place where philosophical discussion and study may take place. Join at: http://romanrepublic.org/civitas/joint_ ... sophiae/42

Moderators: Marca Marcia, Gaius Flavius Aetius, Paullus Aemilius Gallus, Aula Flavia Philippa

Convocatio: Annual Elections of the Magistri Collegii

Postby Gaius Florius Lupus » Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:07 am

Gaius Florius Lupus Magister omnibus collegis salutem plurimam dicit. Salvete!

In compliance with our constitutio, I hereby convoke the collegium for the annual election of our two magistri.
Debate shall begin ante diem VI Idus Decembres MMDCCLXX ab ube condita. (id est Veneris die VIII mensis Decembris MMXVII anno Domini).
Candidates for the offices of the two magistri should come forth as soon as the debate is opened. I am not available for reelection to a second term, so at least one magister needs to be replaced.
Every registered socius of this collegium with optime iure status is elegible for the office.
Voting will start not later than ante diem IX Kalendas Ianuarias MMDCCLXX A.U.C. (Solis die XXIV mensis Decembris MMXVII A.D.), so that the newly elected magistri can assume their office on the Kalendis Ianuariis MMDCCLXXI A.U.C. (Lunae die I mensis Ianuarii MMXVIII A.D.).

Valete!

Datum Kalendis Decembribus MMDCCLXX ab urbe condita
Gaius Florius Lupus

Re: Convocatio: Annual Elections of the Magistri Collegii

Postby Gaius Florius Lupus » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:35 am

Salvete collegae!

The debate is now open. Candidates for the office of magister of the Collegium Philosophicum are asked to come forth.
I would like to use this opportunity to propose Caeso Cispius Laevus Magister for reelection. He has been leader of the Collegium from its first year on and would therefore be the best choice for this office. I would like to ask Cispius Laevus to confirm his candidacy formally in this thread, so we can register him as a candidate.
As already mentioned I will not run for this office next year. So we need at least one other candidate to fill both available positions.

Valete!
C. Florius Lupus Magister
Gaius Florius Lupus

Postby Mania Aurelia Apollonia » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:52 am

Salvete members!

I am hereby announcing my candidacy for the position of magister in the Collegium. I have been an active member of the Republic, mostly through the Facebook group. I am hoping to have more of a presence here.

I would be very honored to fulfil this position for our Republic.

Valete!
Know thyself - Γνῶθι σεαυτόν - Nosce te ipsum
Mania Aurelia Apollonia
Apollinis Sacerdos
Apollinis Sacerdos

Postby Gaius Florius Lupus » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:36 am

Salvete!
I would like to endorse Aurelia Apollonia as my successor in the co-leadership of the Collegium.
I am confident that she and Cispius Laevus can bring some fresh spirit into this forum.
Valete!
Gaius Florius Lupus

Postby Lucius Livius Seneca » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:45 pm

L. Livius v. c. C. Florio omnibus sociis sal.

Here, here! I'm more than happy to support a fellow Green in her philosophical ambitions! :mrgreen:

Vale et valete.
Lucius Livius Seneca

Postby M.ValeriusTraianus » Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:15 pm

She have my support as well.
M.ValeriusTraianus

Postby Mania Aurelia Apollonia » Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:34 am

Gratias vobis ago, amici!
Know thyself - Γνῶθι σεαυτόν - Nosce te ipsum
Mania Aurelia Apollonia
Apollinis Sacerdos
Apollinis Sacerdos

Postby Spurius Iuventius Catulus » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:40 pm

Salvete omnes!

I also wish to announce my candidacy. This Collegium serves a valuable purpose, and I am willing to serve if my work can be of benefit.
Spurius Iuventius Catulus
"The universe is change; our life is what our thoughts make it."
Procurator, Province of Missuria
Spurius Iuventius Catulus
Governor of Missuria
Governor of Missuria

Postby Gaius Florius Lupus » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:25 am

Salvete!

Gratias tibi, Iuventi Catule
for stepping forth as candidate!
We now have two candidates. Cispius Laevus has not confirmed his candidacy yet. It seems that he is not running for the office again. So I think we can go ahead and start voting from Solis dies XVII mensis decembris on. Meanwhile there is still time for any other socius to announce his candidacy.

I am happy that the administration of the Collegium can continue in an orderly manner according to our newly approved bylaws.

Valete!
Gaius Florius Lupus

Postby Gaius Florius Lupus » Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:30 am

Salvete collegae!

Voting for the new Magistri Collegii is now open.
We have two candidates for the office of Magister:
A) Mania Aurelia Apollonia
B) Spurius Iuventius Catulus

Our current Magister Caeso Cispius Laevus has not confirmed his candidacy for the office, so we have to assume that he does not rerun for a second term.
This leaves us with two positions to fill and two available candidates.

In order to maintain a minimum of democratic spirit, we cannot simply declare the two candidates winners of the elections due to the absence of other candidates. So we need at least something to vote about.

Each candidate needs therefore to have more votes in his favor than against him. If a candidate is rejected by a simple majority of the votes, then the candidate is formally rejected by the Collegium and the position will remain vacant for the time being.

Therefore I would like to ask every collega to vote in the following manner in order for the vote to be valid:
Write the name of the candidate (ablative or accusative) preceded by either PRO (followed by ablative) or CONTRA (followed by accusative) and post it in this thread.
PRO means a vote in favor of the candidate, CONTRA means a vote against the candidate.
If the name of a candidate is not mentioned in your post that contains the vote, then you have abstained from voting for or against the candidate.
A vote cannot be revoked. Your first post in this thread that mentions the name of one of the candidates preceded by either PRO or CONTRA is the vote that counts.
If you have voted for one candidate but abstained from voting about the second candidate, then you are still free to vote either in favor or against this second candidate in a separate post.
There is no minimum number of votes required for a candidate to be approved and there is no quorum. One vote in favor and none against a candidate is sufficient to elect him.
If a candidate has as many votes in his favor as against him, then the votes of the two magistri decide.
It is permissible and even recommended that every candidate votes for himself. Failure to do so will not revoke the candidacy, but create the impression that the candidate is not interested in the office anymore.

An example fo a valid vote using the names of the current magistri would be a post containing the following words:

PRO Caesone Cispio Laevo
CONTRA Gaium Florium Lupum

With this post you would have voted in favor of Cispius Laevus and against me.
However neither of us is a valid candidate in the current elections.
Please only vote for the current candidates.

You can still make statements regarding these elections or ask questions, but remember: As soon as the name of one of the candidates preceded by either the word PRO or CONTRA (not case-sensitive) is mentioned in the post, then your vote has been cast and cannot be changed anymore. The context, in which these words are written is irrelevant. Even if you only tried to give an example or attempted to be ironical, it will count as a vote.
The vote is valid, even if the name of the candidate is spelled or inflected incorrectly, as long as the person is unequivocally identifiable.
Valid votes have to be posted in this thread. Votes posted in other threads or sent by email or other means will not be counted.
The validity of the votes will be handled strict, inflexible and without exceptions.

The voting period will end Solis die XXIV mensis Decembris MMDCCLXX a.u.c. at 11:59 pm Roman time.
The winners of the elections will be announced soon afterwards.
Leadership of the Collegium will be formally transferred to the new magistri electi on the Kalendae Ianuariae MMDCCLXXI a.u.c.

If only one magister is elected, then sole leadership will be transferred to him with the request that he should convoke the Collegium again as soon as possible to hold an election for the vacant position. If no magister at all is elected and both candidates are rejected, then leadership of the Collegium will be transferred to the Curule Aediles who will decide its further fate.

Optime valete!
C. Florius Lupus
Gaius Florius Lupus

Next

Return to Collegium Philosophicum