Edictum Praeturae: Leadership of the Collegium Philosophiae

The purpose of this collegium is to establish a group for those interested in ancient philosophy and a place where philosophical discussion and study may take place. Join at: http://romanrepublic.org/civitas/joint_ ... sophiae/42

Moderators: Marca Marcia, Gaius Flavius Aetius, Paullus Aemilius Gallus, Aula Flavia Philippa

Re: Edictum Praeturae: Leadership of the Collegium Philosophiae

Postby Caeso Cispius Laevus » Mon May 15, 2017 11:28 pm

Gaius Curtius Philo wrote:
Caeso Cispius Laevus wrote:
Gaius Curtius Philo wrote:You were elected to your post, that does not depend on the existance of an Edict. You may resign if yoy wish, that is this collegium's internal affair, but you ARE its legitimate leader by election.

If you do resign though, then the procedures of this collegium should be followed in this case and new elections be made in the manner specified by the bylaws.

Sal.

I was elected as "co-leader".

If forced to be a solitary leader I resign. I feel this is illegal considering my election as co-leader and against my wishes.

Again, it is your right amice. You must do what you feel best. In that case the only course of action is for the Collegium to start new elections. Then if the elected representative of the collegium believes that government intervention is necessary to change the bylaws, I will be the first to support it.

Who starts elections?

The bylaws are illegal.

Oh, and you say government intervention might now be needed? Interesting.
Caeso Cispius Laevus
Propraetor
Propraetor

Postby Gaius Curtius Philo » Mon May 15, 2017 11:33 pm

What aspect of the bylaws are illegal? Can you show me? Those should be changed by edict to conform to bylaws regulation. Then elections should be made and the representatives are free to ask for intervention.

Yes, I think you are upset amice and that is normal. Unfortunetly thatis making you not understand what Consul Curio is doing. He is not standing for No change, he just sees a different route to do so. There are more than one way to skin a rabbit
"Ignis aurum probat" - Seneca
C. Curtius L. f. Vot. Philo Aurelianus
Gaius Curtius Philo

Postby Caeso Cispius Laevus » Mon May 15, 2017 11:37 pm

Gaius Curtius Philo wrote:What aspect of the bylaws are illegal? Can you show me? Those should be changed by edict to conform to bylaws regulation. Then elections should be made and the representatives are free to ask for intervention.

Yes, I think you are upset amice and that is normal. Unfortunetly thatis making you not understand what Consul Curio is doing. He is not standing for No change, he just sees a different route to do so. There are more than one way to skin a rabbit

Let's start with the dictatorial powers of the founders...

What now, you will just pick and choose which parts of the flawed bylaws work...

My plan had elected leaders redoing the bylaws. You plan is to let Consul Curio just decide what applies now?

You fellows made a right mess.
Caeso Cispius Laevus
Propraetor
Propraetor

Postby Gaius Curtius Philo » Tue May 16, 2017 12:14 am

You're angry. When people are angry it is easier to misinterpret others. I sincerely dont hold it against you... But that wasnt what I said.

If the bylaws have any illegal element it should be stricken down. If there is an aspect of the bylaws that do not follow the requirements of our regulation to a point that a simple request for the Collegium to alter it is not possible, than those law-defined elements should be placed to make this possible. It isnt "altering the bylaws putting what we feel is best", it's objectively seeing what it is doing illegally, seeing if the collegium can change it by itself and, in case it cant, altering it to fit the letter of the law so that they may ratify it themselves later on when they are able to.

You're frustrated and I get that amice, but sincerely if you relax and take a breather you'll see this is not a mess and that everything is fine.
Gaius Curtius Philo

Postby Gaius Florius Lupus » Tue May 16, 2017 1:45 am

Our Magister and Praetor is right about the status of our bylaws. The bylaws include self-contradictions: At one point it says that all three officers are to be elected, later it states that the domina is for lifetime and the scriba is appointed, while only one dominus is up for elections. So what is correct now?
The bylaws also contradict the facts. They state that the person of Cassia Longina is domina for lifetime, but she is not even a citizen of the Republic. However she is apparently still alive and is therefore supposed to continue being the leader. How is this possible?
From my point of view this collegium has no current bylaws. The way they are written makes them entirely void.

This entire discussion is pretty much pointless and a waste of our time. We all want the same. We need elections in the collegium to determine the second co-leader. Magister Cispius Laevus should simply call for elections and in a week we get this done with.
Then we write a draft for the new bylaws according to the input of our members and have a vote about it.
Who could possibly be against this course of action? Bureaucracy has to serve the people, not the people the bureaucracy. There is absolutely no conflict about what we all want. We should not try to create a conflict, when there is none.

Ergo te rogo, Magister Cispi Laeve, repeat the call for elections! - Problem solved.

Valete!
C. Florius Lupus
Gaius Florius Lupus

Postby Gaius Curtius Philo » Tue May 16, 2017 1:48 am

Gaius Florius Lupus wrote:Our Magister and Praetor is right about the status of our bylaws. The bylaws include self-contradictions: At one point it says that all three officers are to be elected, later it states that the domina is for lifetime and the scriba is appointed, while only one dominus is up for elections. So what is correct now?
The bylaws also contradict the facts. They state that the person of Cassia Longina is domina for lifetime, but she is not even a citizen of the Republic. However she is apparently still alive and is therefore supposed to continue being the leader. How is this possible?
From my point of view this collegium has no current bylaws. The way they are written makes them entirely void.

This entire discussion is pretty much pointless and a waste of our time. We all want the same. We need elections in the collegium to determine the second co-leader. Magister Cispius Laevus should simply call for elections and in a week we get this done with.
Then we write a draft for the new bylaws according to the input of our members and have a vote about it.
Who could possibly be against this course of action? Bureaucracy has to serve the people, not the people the bureaucracy. There is absolutely no conflict about what we all want. We should not try to create a conflict, when there is none.

Ergo te rogo, Magister Cispi Laeve, repeat the call for elections! - Problem solved.

Valete!
C. Florius Lupus

Agreed in full. Pretty simple. Let the Collegium define its bylaws and get this done with. We do not need the government's intervention to do that. So instead of resigning and acting in an uncooperative manner, I suggest that Laevus just gets this done with, which would be both easier and more efficient.
Gaius Curtius Philo

Previous

Return to Collegium Philosophicum