Felix Dies Natalis Marci Aurelii Augusti!

The purpose of this collegium is to establish a group for those interested in ancient philosophy and a place where philosophical discussion and study may take place. Join at: http://romanrepublic.org/civitas/joint_ ... sophiae/42

Moderators: Marca Marcia, Gaius Flavius Aetius, Paullus Aemilius Gallus, Aula Flavia Philippa

Felix Dies Natalis Marci Aurelii Augusti!

Postby Lucius Livius Seneca » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:41 pm

L. Livius Seneca omnibus sal.

Today is the anniversary of the birth of my favourite pagan emperor, Marcus Aurelius Antoninus Augustus, who is especially celebrated for his indispensible Stoic text, "Τὰ εἰς ἑαυτόν," known in English as The Meditations. I know the Stoic school is highly regarded in our Collegium, and so it seems appropriate to remember this remarkable imperator on his birthday.

Here are some photographs of a replica of a sestertius minted in the reign of Marcus Aurelius, which my parents recently brought back from Rome for me. The obverse says: "MAVRELANTONINVSAVGTRPXIII" (in full: M. Aurelius Antoninus Augustus, Tribunicia Potestas XXXIII); while the reverse says: "FELICITAS AVG. IMPXCOSIIIPP S C" (in full: Felicitas Augusti Imperatoris X, Consulis III, Patris Patriae. Senatus consulto). These respectively translate as "Marcus Aurelius Antoninus Augusts, his 33rd Tribuneship", and "Happiness to the Emperor Augustus, the 10th year of his reign, his third Consulship, the Father of the Nation. With the approval of the Senate."

front.jpg
Sestertius M. Aurelii Augusti
front.jpg (93.03 KiB) Viewed 1994 times

To conclude, a random Meditation from the birthday boy:

M. Aurelius Antoninus Augustus, IV.17 wrote: Do not act as if you are going to live ten thousand years. Death hangs over you. While you live, while it is in your power, be good.

Valete.

P. S. Warmest wishes especially to our colleagues and fellow-citizens of Gens Aurelia, from whose glorious family arose this unique philosophus purpuratus.
Lucius Livius Seneca

Re: Felix Dies Natalis Marci Aurelii Augusti!

Postby Lucius Livius Seneca » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:03 am

L. Livius omnibus sal.

I also took the opportunity to lecture on M. Aurelius today. :)

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (72.4 KiB) Viewed 1989 times

Valete.
Lucius Livius Seneca

Postby Lucius Aurelius Curio » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:02 am

Curio Sal.

Looks like a very fun topic to cover! Did they record the lecture?

Vale Bene!

L. Aurelius Curio
Lucius Aurelius Curio
Augur
Augur
Princeps Senatus: Senator
Princeps Senatus: Senator
Lictor Curiatus
Lictor Curiatus
Fortunae Sacerdos
Fortunae Sacerdos

Postby Lucius Livius Seneca » Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:43 am

L. Livius L. Curioni sal.

No, nothing so formal. After covering the Emperor's life, we spent most of the time discussing Stoic doctrines.

Vale.
Lucius Livius Seneca

Return to Collegium Philosophicum