Call for candidates for co-leadership of Collegium Philosophiae

The purpose of this collegium is to establish a group for those interested in ancient philosophy and a place where philosophical discussion and study may take place. Join at: http://romanrepublic.org/civitas/joint_ ... sophiae/42

Moderators: Marca Marcia, Gaius Flavius Aetius, Paullus Aemilius Gallus, Aula Flavia Philippa

Call for candidates for co-leadership of Collegium Philosophiae

Postby Marcus Livius Horatius » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:18 pm

The position of co-leader of this Collegium is now available.

I ask all candidates to step forward now by declaring candidacy in this forum. Please feel open to discuss plans and the future of this Collegium.

Candidacy is accepted until May 4. Elections will be held from May 6 to May 15 by electronic ballot.
Marcus Livius Horatius
Curule Aedile
Curule Aedile

Re: Call for candidates for co-leadership of Collegium Philosophiae

Postby Gaius Florius Lupus » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:29 am

Salvete, amici!

Due to the current situation that requires several leadership positions of the collegia being filled, I would like to announce my candidacy as co-leader of the Collegium Philosophiae.

Apart from supporting Magister Cispius Laevus in the administration I promise to make an effort to change the name of this collegium into a proper Latin one. (Classical Latin avoids the use of the genitive of abstract nouns with adjective meaning and uses an adjective instead So it should be "Collegium Philosophicum" or "Circulus Philosophicus", whatever is preferred.).
The focus of this collegium shall remain classical Graeco-Roman philosophy with emphasis on Epicureanism and Stoicism.

Optime valete!
C. Florius Lupus
Gaius Florius Lupus

Postby Gaius Cominius Laenas » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:32 am

Gaius Florius Lupus wrote:Salvete, amici!

Due to the current situation that requires several leadership positions of the collegia being filled, I would like to announce my candidacy as co-leader of the Collegium Philosophiae.

Apart from supporting Magister Sextius Laevus in the administration I promise to make an effort to change the name of this collegium into a proper Latin one. (Classical Latin avoids the use of the genitive of abstract nouns with adjective meaning and uses an adjective instead So it should be "Collegium Philosophicum" or "Circulus Philosophicus", whatever is preferred.).
The focus of this collegium shall remain classical Graeco-Roman philosophy with emphasis on Epicureanism and Stoicism.

Optime valete!
C. Florius Lupus

Great to see Lupus, whom I deeply respect put his hat in the ring.
Gaius Cominius Laenas
Senator
Senator

Postby Lucius Livius Seneca » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:42 pm

L. Livius C. Florio sal.

Gaius Florius Lupus wrote:I promise to make an effort to change the name of this collegium into a proper Latin one. (Classical Latin avoids the use of the genitive of abstract nouns with adjective meaning and uses an adjective instead So it should be "Collegium Philosophicum" or "Circulus Philosophicus", whatever is preferred.).

Eu, eu! For this reason alone, Lupe, you have my support! :D Be assured, that once the Collegium Latinae (sic) is reorganized, we shall be advocating for improved Latinity.

Vale et bona fortuna!
Lucius Livius Seneca

Postby Lucia Horatia Adamas » Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:56 am

L. Horatia Adamas L. Livio Senecae C. Florio Lupo M. Livio Horatio omnibusque S.P.D.

Ah, those names of the collegia! Eheu! As Seneca noted, the correct names employ an adjective with the noun (whenever there is a suitable adjective available), thus 'Collegium Latinum,' 'Collegium Philosophicum,' 'Collegium Historicum,' etc. Not all of the collegia (and other things) can be named in this fashion, however, as a corresponding adjective is not always available.

Now, as for those edicta, there are suitable adjectives: Edictum Censorium, Edictum Consulare, Edictum Praetorium, Edictum Aedilicium…please let us use the correct Latin, not that of a bare beginner in Latin I who moreover is not among the best students…

Obiter, I had tried to join the philosophical college some time ago, but apparently did not succeed. Hope this can be corrected as I am interested in philosophy: philosophia biou kybernetes, as the Greeks said. (Not sure how to get Greek letters into this system, or whether that is even possible).

Valete!
Lucia Horatia Adamas

Postby Caeso Cispius Laevus » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:53 am

Lucia Horatia Adamas wrote:L. Horatia Adamas L. Livio Senecae C. Florio Lupo M. Livio Horatio omnibusque S.P.D.

Ah, those names of the collegia! Eheu! As Seneca noted, the correct names employ an adjective with the noun (whenever there is a suitable adjective available), thus 'Collegium Latinum,' 'Collegium Philosophicum,' 'Collegium Historicum,' etc. Not all of the collegia (and other things) can be named in this fashion, however, as a corresponding adjective is not always available.

Now, as for those edicta, there are suitable adjectives: Edictum Censorium, Edictum Consulare, Edictum Praetorium, Edictum Aedilicium…please let us use the correct Latin, not that of a bare beginner in Latin I who moreover is not among the best students…

Obiter, I had tried to join the philosophical college some time ago, but apparently did not succeed. Hope this can be corrected as I am interested in philosophy: philosophia biou kybernetes, as the Greeks said. (Not sure how to get Greek letters into this system, or whether that is even possible).

Valete!

Sal.

Horatia, I added you to our membership roster.

Take at look at http://romanrepublic.org/civitas/joint_ ... rectory/42

Does anyone else need help getting added? Please let me know.
Caeso Cispius Laevus
Propraetor
Propraetor

Postby Lucia Horatia Adamas » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:00 pm

L. Horatia Adamas C. Cispio Laevo omnibusque S.P.D.

Gratias quam plurimas! At least at this point, I am not interested in being an officer, but have enjoyed some of the discussions which have made their way to my mailbox. I might even participate someday.

Of course I have no idea why my attempts at joining the Collegium Philosophicum (to give it a better and more accurate name) and those of arts and letters did not succeed, but perhaps it is related to my inability to respond privately to posts sent via this forum system. Membership in the Collegium Latinum had to be approved by an officer, and that worked, but the other attempts did not although the system seemed to 'think' that it did.

Obiter, does anyone know whether this system can accept Greek letters? I know at least one method of getting them into a forum-like text, but don't know whether or not that would work here.

Vale, et valete!
Lucia Horatia Adamas

Postby Marcus Livius Horatius » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:33 am

Lucia Horatia Adamas wrote:L. Horatia Adamas C. Cispio Laevo omnibusque S.P.D.

Gratias quam plurimas! At least at this point, I am not interested in being an officer, but have enjoyed some of the discussions which have made their way to my mailbox. I might even participate someday.

Of course I have no idea why my attempts at joining the Collegium Philosophicum (to give it a better and more accurate name) and those of arts and letters did not succeed, but perhaps it is related to my inability to respond privately to posts sent via this forum system. Membership in the Collegium Latinum had to be approved by an officer, and that worked, but the other attempts did not although the system seemed to 'think' that it did.

Obiter, does anyone know whether this system can accept Greek letters? I know at least one method of getting them into a forum-like text, but don't know whether or not that would work here.

Vale, et valete!

Glad to have you Horatia!

I suspect your inability to join had much to do with a certain former officer of this collegium. Lots of show, little substance or care taking of the collegia under their direction. ;)
Marcus Livius Horatius
Curule Aedile
Curule Aedile

Postby Lucius Livius Seneca » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:41 am

Χαϊρε συνηρητα!

Τό φόρον τά γράμματα ´Ηλληνικά `αποδέχεται!

- Λούκιος Σενέκας
Lucius Livius Seneca

Postby Lucia Horatia Adamas » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:18 am

L. Horatia Adamas K. Cispio Laevo L. Lucio Senecae omnibusque S.P.D.

Glad to be here! If I am not mistaken, that same officer admitted me to the Latin group…one of too many under a single headship. Cumulatio non est res bona.

Seneca, amice, quo modo sententiam Graecé scriptam híc ponere potuisti? Scio systema cum 'ampersand' et ';' sed illo modo accentús, etc., uti non possumus. Nunc illo uti conar: ω Multa philosophica Graecé scripta sunt.

Valete!
Lucia Horatia Adamas

Next

Return to Collegium Philosophicum