Mos

The purpose of this collegium is to establish a group for those interested in ancient philosophy and a place where philosophical discussion and study may take place. Join at: http://romanrepublic.org/civitas/joint_ ... sophiae/42

Moderators: Marca Marcia, Gaius Flavius Aetius, Paullus Aemilius Gallus, Aula Flavia Philippa

Mos

Postby Marcus Minucius Audens » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:10 pm

Some time ago I asked for a simple definition of the 'Mos', that I might actually use, being a pretty simple person. I got that simple definition from a very religous and effective member of the Magistrates Council. I am pleased to report this and share it with those who are not over-impressed with a great deal of religous and political double-talk! The following is my view of the "Mos':

In regard to the Virtues, these are the ideas with which I govern my life or try to, along with the Golden Rule and the Ten Commandments, all of which are about the sum of my religous and philosophical beliefs and ideas. Since I am not the brightest bulb on the row, this is about all I can handle, without empty words and actions.

In regard to resolutions, I make them all the time, and most of them are long term. Currently, I am working on my temper and lack of patience. I am taking medication and seeing a phycyatrist. I am not sure if I am making much headway, but I am working on it. As I view the Virtues each is a ruler, and along each of the rulers I mark my current situation periodically and progress knowing that I will Never get to the top of the ruler. Over the range of all the Private and Public Virtues it seems that I am very slowly improving with a few setbacks along the way. My slowest advance is with temperament, and so I am taking special pains with that one. In my view and experience, Resolutions are a waste of time, so I have evolved the present system which works well for me. I know where I am, what I have to do, and that is better I think than my old ways.

Respectfully;
Marcus Audens
Marcus Minucius Audens

Return to Collegium Philosophicum