>>>> Marcus Aurelius -- “Meditations” <<<<

The purpose of this collegium is to establish a group for those interested in ancient philosophy and a place where philosophical discussion and study may take place. Join at: http://romanrepublic.org/civitas/joint_ ... sophiae/42

Moderators: Marca Marcia, Gaius Flavius Aetius, Paullus Aemilius Gallus, Aula Flavia Philippa

Postby Marcus Minucius Audens » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:33 pm

Greetings All;

I am really not sure how MA fits into your philosophical discussions, but for me, I find value in most of his "Meditations." In reading through the book the other day I came across the below verses and they struck me as valuable and worthy of sharing:

-- Book 2, verses 3 and 4:

“Works of the Gods are full of providence. The works of Fortune are not independent of Nature or the spinning and weaving together of the threads governed by Providence. All things flow from that world: and further factors are necessary and the benefit of the whole universe, of which you are a part. Now every part of nature benefits from what is brought by the nature of the Whole and all which preserves that nature: and the order of the universe is preserved equally by the changes in the elements and the changes in their compounds. Let this be enough for you and your constant doctrine. And give up your thirst for books, so that you do not die a grouch, but in true grace and heartfelt gratitude to the gods.

Remember how long you have been putting this off, how many times you have been given a period of grace by the gods and not used it. It is high time now for you to understand the universe of which you are a part, and the governor of that universe of whom you constitute an emanation: and that there is a limit circumscribed to your time -- if you do not use it to clear away your clouds, it will be gone, and you will be gone, and the opportunity will not return.”

>> Notes regarding the above verses, by the Translater Mark Hammond: <<

Chapter 2 is another carefully composed chapter of which the established author Farquarson (P. 285) observes:

“ The chapter is an example of the simplicity and yet extreme difficulty of the writer (MA). He is simple because he states with conviction a conclusion which has sunk into the common consciousness of religous men and women; difficult because of his deep knowledge of a system every tenet of which had been dicussed and criticized, and because of his parsimony of words, his reference to suppressed arguments.”

But Marcus, writing for himself, can say, ‘Let this be enough for you’: his own need is for a compressed reminder, not a treatise.

--“the changes in the elements” -- A central doctrine of Stoic physics is that elements whose combination forms the physical universe and every object in it are constantly interchanging and recombining giving constant renewal and regeneration (‘so that the world is always young’).

For the general doctrine -- ‘the universe is change’: change expressed in creation, transformation and recreation. The universe as a Whole ‘loves’ or ‘delights’ in change. Its operation can be compared to a master-craftsman. Marcus puts this doctrine to various uses in the “Meditations” for consolation against the fear of death or any other harm; to underline the transcience of life and the futility of any temporal values; to ‘wash away the filth of life on the ground’ and as an aid to ‘divesting of the body.’

>> Comments of Marcus Audens <<

Most of what is said by Marcus Aurelius makes sense to me, and most of what the translator says in his notes makes sense as well. I always seem to come away from reading Marcus Aurelius with a better sense of what is right and wrong and an increased desire and determinaton to improve on my own faults and concerns.

Respectfully Submitted;
Marcus Audens
Marcus Minucius Audens

Re: >>>> Marcus Aurelius -- “Meditations” <<<<

Postby Appius Claudius Tuscus » Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:54 am

Salve, M. Minucii Audens, atque omnibus, salvete -

Great post about this wonderful book. That it survived Universal Change long enough to be translated for us to peruse is a blessing.

Valete.
Appius Claudius Tuscus

Postby Marcus Minucius Audens » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:05 pm

Appius Tuscus;

My thanks for your complement in regard to the subject review. It is not often that my contributions receive any recognition, and your comments are very much appreciated, among the myriad of 'political back and forth.'

Respectfully and Again, With My Thanks;
Marcus Audens.
Marcus Minucius Audens

Postby Gaius Valerius Scipio » Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:53 pm

Salve

I have been meaning to read Marcus Aurelius Meditations for awhile now and this really has motivated me to finally purchase the book.
It is essential in my mind that we try our best to emulate the Good Romans that came before us.
Gratias for these passages Audens.

Vale.

C Valerius Scipio.
The gods command me to sanctify my every action, and I obey them with all my soul, and they assure me of great benefits from my enterprise, if only I persist.
Gaius Valerius Scipio

Postby Marcus Minucius Audens » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:06 pm

Valerius Scipio; You are most welcome my friend. Normally , I read Marus Aurelius a great deal, because he makes sense, and he always brings me back to what is really most important in life. Like Marcus, I get wound up in the concerns of the every day, and sometimes I need something to staighten me out. Many read the Christian Bible for comfort, but I prefer to read the actual ideas and comments of a real individual, who is quite aware of the tremendous pressures of Military, Political, and Diplomatic responsibilities. I figure, if a person like him can come to his downright reasonable and easily understood passages, then they should work for me too!

Respectfully;
Marcus Audens
Marcus Minucius Audens

Return to Collegium Philosophicum