The Universe -- Personality?

The purpose of this collegium is to establish a group for those interested in ancient philosophy and a place where philosophical discussion and study may take place. Join at: http://romanrepublic.org/civitas/joint_ ... sophiae/42

Moderators: Marca Marcia, Gaius Flavius Aetius, Paullus Aemilius Gallus, Aula Flavia Philippa

Postby Marcus Minucius Audens » Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:12 pm

In regard to the universe as having no personality, I am afraid that I cannot agree. Recently in the a scientific magazine astromers have revealed a pattern of super galaxies which contain the formerly Master Galaxies considered as the only organizational bodies in the universe. These ideas together with the use and effect of the totally unknown "dark matter' of the universe, the rush of galaxies to somewhere (no one knows where) and the question of what is at the bottom of a black hole and what happens there, gives the galaxy a definite personality in my humble view. The idea of a folding of space and time and the investigations going on to learn ever more by human effort about the universe using the brains god(s) gave them for that purpose, most certainly gives the universe a personality, even though at present it is far beyond our ken to understand its length and breadth and a full understanding of the final goal if there is one.

Respectfully;
Marcus Audens
Marcus Minucius Audens

Re: The Universe -- Personality?

Postby Gaius Florius Lupus » Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:37 pm

Salve, Tribune!

Regarding "dark matter", black holes and all the other "dark things" theoretical physicists have came up with during the last decades, you might be interested in the following article, which was published this month and is a major sensation in physics:
http://phys.org/news/2016-11-theory-gravity-dark.html
After scientists have now repeatedly failed to find "dark matter" this new theory of gravity should be the final nail to the coffin of all those speculative phenomena that have never been observed.

You are right, there are super structures in the universe. But there are size limits. Nothing can ever reach beyond its event horizon. Therefore it would also be the horizon for whatever kind of personality we assume space itself to have. What is beyond this horizon must belong to another personality. Therefore we can discard monotheism and pantheism and are left with polytheism and atheism as only remaining options.

Vale!
C. Florius Lupus
Gaius Florius Lupus

Postby Marcus Minucius Audens » Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:34 pm

As I recall, in my youth, some sixty years ago, there was no concept of man going to the moon. No concept of the universe moving off at over light speed There was, of course Einstein, and his theories just then beginning to have impact on the scientific world. Every month new articles about new discoveries in science of all kinds, robots that can climb stairs and open doors, Planets light years away being identified as within the livable distance from a star where carbon-based creatures can live and giant oceans under ice on some moons around what were considered to be cold, distant planets of little value or consideration in the past. In my view, the more we know the more we will discover, so again in my view, there is nothing that is impossible! If one believes in Gods and the creation of man with a brain that can decide rather than be guided in all things. The question arises then, where are the final frontiers for man? At first it was the oceans, and then the Far North, then all the continents of this world. Even now, we are still discovering hundreds of new animals in our oceans and now we have reached the orbits around earth and finally the moon. Many people are seriously working on a way to reach Mars. Why are the other planets and stars in the universe, if not to provide a further set of frontiers for man or perhaps even for other beings not yet having reached our level of civilization or those who may have exceeded it? For me, as I view the advantages made only since I have been aware of such, I am amazed at the advance. For me, there is NO impossibilty for man and his machines to solve or find. I firmly believe that given time all will be revealed, if man with his ability to decide does not destroy himself before then! WE have some time before our sun expands and devours the Earth. By that time we had better have a way out!
Respectfully;
Marcus Audens
Marcus Minucius Audens

Return to Collegium Philosophicum