[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4855: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4857: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4858: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4859: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Roman Republic: Res publica Romana • View topic - Let's talk quotes

Let's talk quotes

The purpose of this collegium is to establish a group for those interested in ancient philosophy and a place where philosophical discussion and study may take place. Join at: http://romanrepublic.org/civitas/joint_ ... sophiae/42

Moderators: Marca Marcia, Gaius Flavius Aetius, Paullus Aemilius Gallus, Aula Flavia Philippa

Let's talk quotes

Postby Lucius Aurelius Curio » Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:41 am

Salvete Omnes!

Recently I started a new weekly series of famous Romans and their quotes. In honor of today being the 2098th anniversary of Sulla's victory at the Colline Gate, I chose the first poster to be of Lucius Cornelius Sulla. Attached you can find the image with the quote on it.

My question to you, my fellow citizens, is what does it mean to you? Does it speak to you about revenge and follow through? Or commitment to your moral compass, by always being true to those loyal to you and not letting your enemies wrong you without retribution?

I would love to hear your thoughts.

Valete Bene!

L. Aurelius Curio
Attachments
SULLA 1.jpg
SULLA 1.jpg (13.62 KiB) Viewed 4137 times
Vis per Unitatem Romanam

Lucius Aurelius Curio
Augur
Augur
Princeps Senatus: Senator
Princeps Senatus: Senator
Lictor Curiatus
Lictor Curiatus
Fortunae Sacerdos
Fortunae Sacerdos

Re: Let's talk quotes

Postby Gaius Curtius Philo » Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:55 am

It reflects a lot a warrior culture. The leader that is generous to his friends and terrible to his enemies. The "Good Dictator". For me it is an outdated thought, but one that can be appreciated in its appropriate historical context.

EDIT: PS: I mean to say that the idea of the "good dictator" is outdated, not the warrior culture. Warrior Culture has its place in all societies.
"Ignis aurum probat" - Seneca
C. Curtius L. f. Vot. Philo Aurelianus
Gaius Curtius Philo

Postby Marcus Minucius Audens » Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:35 pm

HMMMMMM!! Well, in my view such an attitude seems to me to be a bit bullish. In other words, if you agreed with Sulla, you were his friend and if you disagreed you would receive a full "payment." The man who has taken on the name of SULLA in NR is exactly that kind of man. What he believes is right is the only way. Agree with him and he is your friend. Disagree with him and he will repay you with "interest!"
Now this is not a bad thing if you happen to agree, I suppose, however, disgrace, prison, torture. and death might await you if you disagree! I have never found a man, or woman however, that I could agree with entirely, so in my view, such an attitude is bound to cause disruption in any civilization where that general view would come to light!

Respectfully Submitted:
Marcus Audens
Marcus Minucius Audens

Postby Marcus Minucius Audens » Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:15 pm

L. Curio,
Sir, I should like to have your work also be a part of the Collegium Veterani or Militarium. The subject and question as you have laid out, I believe is appropriate for these collegiums as well!

Respectfully Submitted;
Marcus Audens
Marcus Minucius Audens

Postby Tiberius Publicius Gracchus » Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:00 pm

Unless you're a dictator it is not really practical to repay your enemies in full. I don't believe that two wrongs make a right. If people are not going to be polite to me I don't need them in my life, but it would not be in my nature to be rude to them. Of course, things like executions can only legally be carried out by the state, and of course, is frowned upon by much of the world. There is also the necessity of a jury trial, and a liberal judge may let a criminal off with a life sentence. So no one is going to be executed just for being your personal enemy. Unless you somehow make yourself a dictator, arbitrary capital punishment of your enemies is out of the question.

I'd like to add that I was in no way refering to the politics of any Roman reconstructionist group.
Tiberius Publicius Gracchus

Postby Marcus Minucius Audens » Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:25 pm

In regard to the ancient Sulla, in my study of the ancient Roman world, it would seem the court decisions probably did not have much to do with whatever punishments that Sulla laid out for those who opposed him. Ever more so, as he gained in power and prestige! Todays world may be different on the surface, but there are still many victims encased in concrete in the bottom of the Hudson River due to their opposition to the "syndicate!"
Marcus Minucius Audens

Postby Septimus Licinius Lucullus » Sat Nov 12, 2016 5:00 pm

Was sulla not the man who opposed our beloved Republic? And killed his foes in Rome? In some regards he was more of a threat to us than Ceaser!
Septimus Licinius Lucullus
Governor of Britannia
Governor of Britannia

Re: Let's talk quotes -- Sulla

Postby Marcus Minucius Audens » Sun Nov 13, 2016 6:34 pm

>>>> Sulla; Guardian or Enemy? <<<<

A pretty good review of Sulla's life and his miltary and political efforts is contained in the below article. There is so much there, that I would think anyone reading that article could pretty well come to some kind of a summation in regard to the General / Dictator and how he ultimately served the Republic; particularly in comparison with Augustus. However, in comparison with a few other Emperors, you might say he was a 'real sweetheart' (grin!!)!

Reference:

http://www.ancient.eu/article/818/ >>> "Lucius Cornelius Sulla; Guardian or Enemy of the Roman Republic" <<

Respectfully;
Marcus Audens
Marcus Minucius Audens

Return to Collegium Philosophicum