[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4855: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4857: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4858: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4859: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Roman Republic: Res publica Romana • View topic - Philosophy of the Masses

Philosophy of the Masses

The purpose of this collegium is to establish a group for those interested in ancient philosophy and a place where philosophical discussion and study may take place. Join at: http://romanrepublic.org/civitas/joint_ ... sophiae/42

Moderators: Marca Marcia, Gaius Flavius Aetius, Paullus Aemilius Gallus, Aula Flavia Philippa

Philosophy of the Masses

Postby Marcus Minucius Audens » Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:00 pm

One of the things that I always try to keep in mind is the fact that people, whatever, age, are much the same in how they react to various situations. That, of course, is modified by the amount of education they have,and the environment in which they live. Considering all that and the small amount of information that we have about this age, we really do not know what the masses thought and why those thoughts went in the direction that they appeared to do! The word was spread by word of mouth, by those who had a purpose in doing so! Just as today's Presidential elections. Our country is seriously divided, by what people know, believe, in accordance with the environment in which they live, and the information they recieve, We are much better today at determining that information on the masses, but we still have many surprises. All we really know is the larger questions about the outcome, but morality is a strange thing. Morality varies with knowledge, environment, belief, and the elements of rage, excitement, or extreme sadness. Just as today, what is the meaning of morality to a believer in Jewish, Christian, Islamic, and many other religions and belief systems, as well as individuals who concentrate on the belief system of different gods? All these are great variants in the idea of morality and what it is to an individual or a mass of people who find themselves in various important situations, where decisions have to be made about what to do, who to support, and why that decision is or needs to be made. I take no position on this in today's world, except my own. The problem of determining such for an individual or a people two thousand years beyond my view, is to me a gigantic and largely impossible task!

Respectfully Submitted;
Marcus Audens
Marcus Minucius Audens

Re: Philosophy of the Masses

Postby Gaia Cassia Longina » Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:40 pm

Salve, Audens!

This is an interesting point!

However, since there are so many philosophies (not just ancient), it is almost impossible for anyone to agree on one! Even if you focus on just the ancient, like I do, there are still infinite views! So that makes it next to impossible to try to come up with one for the masses! It would be nice though. I am currently working on my interactive philosophy book/journal - maybe I will include your point!
Gaia Cassia Longina

Postby Tiberius Publicius Gracchus » Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:19 pm

It would be nice to be able to have serious philisophical discussions with people on the street, but I think in modern, 21st century America at least, most people are not open to differing points of view. And it can be hard to keep an open mind when you strongly disagree with someone. In politics there is much misinformation circulating on the Internet, from both sides of the political spectrum. What I think this society needs is a place to discuss philosophy with those we disagree with instead of just remaining in our silos. I have participated in an app called Candid where users can annonymously discuss issues and what happened is it became a conservative silo where everyone agrees with each other. In a democratic society, and in our Republic we need to have this kind of discussion. I would like to join this collegium.
Tiberius Publicius Gracchus

Postby Gaia Cassia Longina » Thu Nov 10, 2016 2:24 pm

Salve Gracche,

You are right - people tend to become very attached to their views and this can create a problem for everyone - not just when discussing philosophy.

I am glad you wish to join! You can do so by going here:

I look forward to more of your participation!
C Cassia Longina
Gaia Cassia Longina

Return to Collegium Philosophicum